Steering Committee Meeting

Improving protection of victims’ rights: access to legal aid

Steering Committee meeting

Date: 24th of October 2013

Place: Sala Lauree – Palazzina Einaudi, Lungo Dora Siena 64A

List of participants:



Adam Mickiewicz University


Graciela Fuentes – project coordinator

Prof. dr hab. Paweł Wiliński

– scientific coordinator

Piotr Karlik


 Consorzio Interuniversitario per la Formazione


 Prof. Franco Bochicchio

Francesca Grassi

Luigi Di Viggiano

Karen Hough

Doris Micieli

 Center for the Study of Democracy


 Miriana Ilcheva


 Sabiedriskas politicas centrs PROVIDUS



 Agnese Lesinska

Sanite Sile

Medin Europe Francesco Vallebona



















Welcome of the participants

Scientific coordinator Prof. Paweł Wiliński welcomed all of the participants of the Steering Committee meeting and thanked Coinfo for hosting this event.

Prof. Franco Bochicchio director of the Coinfo welcomed participants as a host and shortly presented the venue of meeting – Faculty of law of University of Torino.

1. Decision making processes

Prof. Paweł Wiliński begun with raising some important issues concerning communication and decision making process that occurred upon the stakeholders’ questionnaires. He admitted that mistakes were committed by all of the partners not forgetting AMU and concluded that this should be great lesson for the future.

2. Presentation of partners activities

All of the partners, one by one presented their activities undertaken within realization
of the project. It showed that all of them fulfilled all of the obligation arising from the project roadmap. Some of them also managed to transcended beyond the circumscribed duties, especially on the field concerning promotion of the project and establishing contacts
with stakeholders. Francesco Vallebona agreed to prepare pattern of tables of expenditures
for financial reports.

3. Report on Legal aid

First of all prof. Wiliński congratulated CSD for great effort which was the preparation
of the draft report. Miriana Ilcheva from CSD thanked all of the partners for their contribution and discussed major comments. She said that there are three types of comments:
a) misunderstandings in the report, b) lack of recommendation for future; c) quantitative data concerning stakeholders opinion. It was decided that partners have to send all of the changes until 10th of November 2013. The stress was laid especially on local recommendations.
Every partner is obliged to send minimum two of them.


4. Website of the project

Issue of the project’s website was the next point from the meeting’s agenda. Prof. Wiliński presented all of the website’s features. It was agreed that partners should translate
all important information into their national languages. Having broad range of information
is very important in reaching as many stakeholders as possible. Partners decided that all necessary information will be send to Aleksandra Woźniak within two weeks.

5. E-newsletter

Piotr Karlik from AMU explained how to use pattern of the newsletter that was send
to all of the partners. Than Prof. Wiliński said that content of newsletter is own matter of each partner. He also reminded that there should be at least four e-newsletter. One presenting
the project, second including invitation to workshops for stakeholders, third with summary
of those workshops, and the last one inviting for the final conference in Poznań.
All of the partners admitted that the list of stakeholders should include every possible organization dealing with victim’s.

6. Brochure for victim

Very important decisions were made upon brochure for victims issue. Partners discussed mainly it’s format and content. It was decided that the brochure will have six pages
(A4 folded on 3) including two covers. Information provided by the brochure will focus on basic information regarding status of a victim in criminal proceedings including possibilities of compensation and free legal assistance. AMU will design simple draft of the brochure
for Coinfo. Other partners than will have to fill brochure with information regarding their national legislation. It was decided that Coinfo until 15th of November will establish preliminary cost calculation of publication of the brochures.

7. DVD issue

Many controversies were caused by DVD issue. Partners encountered problems regarding
its content, so even resignation from its preparation were considered. Idea to replace DVD
by numbers of brochure emerged. Finally partners agreed that such a big change in budget won’t be accepted by the EU Commission. It was decided that DVD will contain power point presentation concerning legal aid issues. This power point presentations will be used also during workshops with citizens. AMU will prepare main assumptions of the DVD content, especially those regarding power point presentations. Coinfo will establish preliminary cost calculation of producing the DVD till 15th of November.


8. Training of practitioners

Many decisions regarding training of practitioners were made during Steering Committee. Graciela Fuentes suggested that there should one teaching modules divided into three parts. First one so called “hard” will focus mainly on legal issues. It is planned that this part will be conducted by UN trainers and will last for two days. It was decided that the second part will concern psychical assistance for the victim. The last one will refer to mediation as an best example of the ADR in criminal proceedings. Partners also decided that there will be prepared two types of questionnaires for that event. One will be distributed to participants before the training and will concern their expectations. The other will be filled after training to see if those expectations were fulfilled. AMU is fully responsible to prepare training modules and basic schedule of trainings.


9. Workshops for citizens

Despite that subject of workshops for citizens where not contained in agenda partners agreed to devote some time for it. Everybody agreed that it is a matter of future but for this particular moment every partner should define its vision and demands regarding those workshops.


10. Final conference

The last part of discussion was spend on final conference matter. Partners agreed that
it should take place in June. Prof. Wiliński asked partners to think over the list of guest that they would like to invite. It concerns also the speakers during the final conference. Propositions should be made within one month.


Summary of the Steering Committee

Prof. Paweł Wiliński thanked all of the partners for such fruitful debate. He admitted that
it undergone his wildest expectations. Once more he asked partners for maintaining current communication. He stated that there is lot to be done, but with good organization all should work.

Prof. Francesco Bochichio thanked everybody for participating in meeting.